Rss Feed
  1. Becoming Prince Charming

    Wednesday 4 March 2009

    "How do we raise gentlemen in this day and age?!"

    I exclaimed this in frustration to our pastor a couple of weeks ago.

    The old fashioned gentlemanly behaviour is often looked at with incredulity at best, or laughed at as weak at worst.

    And yet... it's what a woman wants. If they didn't, then Pride and Prejudice, Mills & Boon and any romantic movie wouldn't have a kazillion dollar niche.

    There is a respect for women that has been missing from parenting boys in the last 50 years or so, mainly, I believe, as a result of the feminist movement that shouted as loud as it could that "women aren't weak! We don't need men to take care of us!"

    They were right in the first statement. Dreadfully misguided on the second.

    Men have been known to say that they don't open doors any more, or stand up when women enter or leave a room, mainly because they don't want to be jeered at. I can't say I blame them.

    But I want my sons to do it anyway.

    I'm starting to research Biblical principles of manhood, gentlemanly behaviour, and as Knights, not only for the Kingdom, but shiny ones for their future Princess. I'm going to chronicle my findings here, under the title "Becoming Prince Charming". To say I'm starting from scratch is an understatement. My boys are louts. Oh, they say please and thank you, they tend not to lick their plate at the dinner table and are generally good kids. But they don't always speak politely even when frustrated, wait until their sisters are in the car before they clamour in, or necessarily acknowledge that I or their sisters have entered the room. And they fight!

    Of course, the Lord has let me go on my merry way complaining (loudly) about their behaviour, bemoaning the lack of respect etc etc etc. Today, because I am so intelligent, it finally dawned on me that the Word would be able to direct my path as a mother to my sons. Of course.

    I want my sons to beautiful, shining examples of Christ. I want my future daughters-in-law to know without a doubt that the Lord is first in my son's lives, that their husband is a lover and devourer of Scripture, that he's a strong leader as well as a gentle lover and has been raised in the Godly precepts of Manhood, Fatherhood and that of a Husband. I want my daughters-in-law to know, that if she was in a room full of women, that because of her husband, my son, she would be the most cherished woman there.

    Basically, I want her to be able to see her face in the shining armour of her Knight.

    Please join me. Give me ideas, scripture, your opinion. Lets, together, raise up a generation of boys that have beautiful manners, a quiet strength, unquestionable masculinity and a love for the Lord that is overshadowed by nothing else. Then, just maybe, we'll begin the re-birth of the manners of Yesteryear, and it will, again, be the norm.

    Every girl deserves a Knight in Shining Armour. Lets be the mothers and fathers that train them.

  2. 5 comments:

    1. As a woman and a mother of a little boy, I really loved this post. I think it goes a bit beyond gender though and extends to love---truly caring for and serving other people.

      I do feel honored when my husband opens doors for me---not because I am not capable of doing so myself, but because I know he does it out of love and respect.

    2. Holly said...

      I'm not a mother, but I agree with you.

      I was kind of sad by how surprised a was a couple of weeks ago when a young man (high school student maybe, younger-looking than me and I'm 21) and I were waiting at the bus stop together. Even though he had been waiting longer and was standing nearer, he stood back and gestured to me to get on first.

      Why does that kind of thing has to be a novelty. :(

    3. Hi Jen,
      Thanks so much for your sweet comment! Unfortunately the company will only ship to the US or Canada.
      ~Michelle

    4. Marie said...

      http://www.hisprincess.com/Resources/PreparingHim/default.aspx

      By Shari Rose Shepherd. My younger son has her "Mighty Warrior" devotional, and he LOVES it. I'm going toi be reviewing it soon on my blog.

    5. Well said. I really like this post. I hope I can raise my son to be a gentleman. I know that's how I like to be treated.

    Post a Comment

    Thanks for chiming in :)

    I really promote conversation here, and I only ask that you be considerate of others feelings, and remember that tone doesn't always translate well over type. An emoticon can work wonders! ;)