Rss Feed
  1. Rubber Bands and Emery Boards

    Friday 23 July 2010

    I desperately wanted braces.

    I know.

    I've always been sensitive about my teeth. I used to have really large gaps in them. My parents always said no, because, aparently, my wisdom teeth would push them together. (ps. it didn't happen) While they have closed up significantly, they are still a sore point with me. Especially when someone I hadn't seen for a decade ran into me and promptly sai "Oh! You've grown into your teeth!"

    Hmm. Thanks for that.

    I have a ski-jump nose. I'm actually starting to think I have a big nose, but the hubsand is adamant that it was just the angle of the photo. I remember being told once that they didn't like people with up-pointy noses, because it meant they were snobby.

    Righty.

    When I was in about 8th grade (and for an undisclosed time afterwards) I used to put rubberbands around my top teeth, thinking my home made dental retainer just might help matters.

    Somewhere inbetween 8th and 10th grades I became so fed up with peoples jibes about my nose, I thought I'd better do something about it.

    So I tried to file it down.

    Oh, yes I did.

    With an emery board no less.



    Wasn't the tweens a fun time?






    That was sarcastic, by the way.



    What embarassing thing/s did you do out of angst or pride as a teen?

  2. 3 comments:

    1. Prudy said...

      Oh I hated being a teenager. It was one of the worst times of my life. I can't remember anything I did as a teen to try and fix myself.

    2. Paul said...

      When I was 15, I dyed my hair using straight peroxide. I can't remember why I did it. Possibly because I thought some girl might think I'd look cool with red or blond hair (if I could get it that light). Turned out kind of rust-colored. As I recall, I had to get a haircut ahead of my Dad's funeral to get it all cut out of my head. I'm sure there are other dumb things I did as I teen but that's the best example I can think of for now.

    3. Paula said...

      I went to an orthodontist for most of my highschool years. And maybe a bit of primary school too. But no braces. He just pulled out nearly all of my baby teeth. Dr Graves was lovely. He was adamant that I didn't need braces, and turns out he was right. However, I was jealous of my sister when she got braces - until 1) the day she got chilli stuck in them (and I didn't tell her because I thought it was capsicum?!) and ended up burning her gum, and 2) the days she'd get them adjusted :)

    Post a Comment

    Thanks for chiming in :)

    I really promote conversation here, and I only ask that you be considerate of others feelings, and remember that tone doesn't always translate well over type. An emoticon can work wonders! ;)